Blog Archive

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I arrived and they arrived!

Yesterday I left at 6am to catch the Eurostar. Paris to London in 2.5 hours. Amazing!
I have to renew my visa every 3 months until I have proper papers.
As the train left Paris and I caught a glimpse of the countryside of France, I felt very emotional. It finally hit me. I am really here! It probably did not help that I was listening to Coldplay.

The view was so breathtaking... and as I was staring out the window I realized I had done it...I was in the midst of living my dream. As rough as some days can be, I am so happy I have taken this jump to strength my self-confidence and pursue new challenges to grow as a person.

I arrived at 8am at Kings Cross and went on a speedy journey through the city: Great Portland Street,
Camden Market, Tate Museum, Picadilly Circus, Covent Garden, Soho, a pub for fish and chips, Godiva shop for a piece of chocolate(okay 2 pieces), window shopping(okay, clothes shopping for real;)
and Tesco for English biscuits and crackers...the best! 
Gimme more Hobnobs!
Chocolate Hobnobs



I arrived back in Paris at 11pm and it was so hot I could not stay in the apartment. It was 90 degrees yesterday in Paris and the 7th floor has no mercy! So I went to Au Reve for a nightcap and saw a friend I know. He was with a guy who did not speak English. I have discovered since being here that the French sometimes push your buttons because they are afraid to speak English themselves. Long story short, he was giving me a hard time with my French...a very hard time. After attempting to speak in French as best as I could considering I was exhausted from my trip...I stopped, I took a deep breathe and went off on this man in English as a proper New Yorker would.

His face froze and he apologized immediately. 
Mission accomplished.  
When he went to say goodbye, I gave him air kisses on the cheek. He asked why I did not touch his cheek in French. 
I said, "Kisses are earned not given." 
I don't think he understood that sentence in English, but I sure did.
In the past, this situation would have made me cry. But yesterday I realized I have become a stronger person...less afraid of people. I am growing.

And ironically enough...guess what else is slowing growing?

The pigeons..they have arrived!!!






Beautiful little babies...Pill and Popper Pigeon.

Now it is time for my afternoon coffee and a Hobnob..or two.


1 comment:

  1. I love your posts. I find it very brave, moving to another country. When I´ve finished my studies I hope I can make the move to another country too. It´s fun to see the pigeons grow!

    ReplyDelete