Blog Archive

Friday, November 18, 2011

French Class

Every Tuesday and Thursday night from 6:45 til 8:45 pm I make my way to French class. 
I have to admit the first few classes I really hated. 
Although my professor is very nice, he makes me feel like I am back in high school. He calls on you randomly to go to chalkboard, read a paragraph or have you re-pronounce the same word 7 times until you have it straight. 
Try teaching French to a room full of people from around the world and I  guess this is how it has to be done. 
But it doesn't mean I can't complain a little bit. :)


Last night at the beginning of class my professor told us we would be doing dictation. Half the the class started complaining. I figured he would read and we would write...so I thought, 
What's the big deal?

And as I had guesssed correctly, that is exactly what we did. 
He read and we wrote. 
The dictation was all in French of course but it went something like this. 

"David is Brazailian and recently moved to France. David doesn't speak French and doesn't have any friends here. David came to France to study the arts."

As I wrote what my professor read, I thought, "David, I know your story. And when I first came here I
 could barely say "Bonjour"...but now David, I am writing about you in French." 
:))))))))


Besides making a lot of accent mistakes, I did pretty well.

And believe me, this can get confusing:

é è à ù ç


After the dictation we had to go around the class and tell the professor where we lived.

There is one Polish student who probably should be in a lower class becasue he is lost and refuses to speak. He sits behind me and always hides. So while the teacher kept asking him the same question, "Where do you live?"
the girl next to me decided to turn around and whisper the answer he was supoosed to say.

She whispered:

J'habite.....which means: I live and he repeated:

J'aime bite...(pronounced beat in english)

which means I love penis.



Awesome....a few of us laughed but he didn't..because like I said, he should be in another class. 
Poor guy.


So even though I still don't understand a lot, I will keep studying and keep trying...in class and during my interent studies, which has recently become gay friendly.




And to close, I want to share one random, unrelated photo my friend sent me the other day that  I still can't get over....enjoy.
Thanks, Shoogs!



à bientôt






No comments:

Post a Comment